Garden Pot Roast
Author: Better Homes & Gardens
- 3 pound boneless beef bottom round roast
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 14 ounce can beef broth
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cut-up vegetables (such as 2-inch pieces of peeled winter squash, carrots, parsnips, and/or green beans)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle meat lightly with salt and pepper. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven brown meat on all sides in hot oil for 5 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Drain off fat. Carefully pour broth over meat. Add onion, marjoram, thyme, and garlic. Bake, covered, in a 325 degree F oven for 2 hours.
- Add vegetables. Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter; reserve cooking liquid in Dutch oven. Cover platter with foil to keep warm.
- For gravy, strain juices into a glass measuring cup. Skim fat from juices; return 1-1/4 cups of the juices to Dutch oven (discard remaining juices). In a small bowl stir together the cold water and cornstarch. Stir into juices in Dutch oven. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slice meat. Spoon some of the gravy over meat and vegetables. Pass remaining gravy. Makes 8 servings.